The isle of Capri is very well known around the world for its stunning beauty but not many people realise that there are a lot of paths around the island which allow the tourist to fully enjoy this Natural Wonder away from the crowds which are ever present on the Island streets and squares.
Our daytrip starts from “Marina Grande” where we will hop onto the funicular which will take us to the “Piazzetta” from here, after a leisurely 45 minutes walk along the narrow streets, multicoloured gardens and secluded Villas we will reach “Villa Jovis” where the Emperor Tiberius ruled the Roman empire during the summer months.
This ancient Roman Villa was built right above a very steep area overlooking the mainland.
From here we will proceed to the “Natural Arch” and onto the “Punta Tragara” lookout which is the best spot to view the “Faraglioni”.
On the way back into the island centre we will visit the “Augustus Gardens” (Emperor Augustus was also very found of this idyllic island and chose to come here on holiday many times)
From this point of the trip, there are 2 options:
- We could follow the Zig Zagging “Via Krupp” down to “Marina Piccola” for a swim and to explore this rugged side of the Island.
- Alternatively, we could catch a short bus ride to Anacapri from where we could hop onto a chairlift up to Monte Solaro (587m asl) This is the highest point on the Island and the views are breathtaking. The descend can be done either by chairlift or on foot throughout the narrow streets of Anacapri for some souvenirs shopping and then down along the “Phoenician steps” to “Marina Grande” where you will board your ferry back to the mainland
- Duration of this trip: 6 to 7 hours.
- Degree of difficulty: Medium (the exception being the climb to Villa Jovis, the rest is either flat or descending terrain)
- Especially recommended if you want to explore this Wonderful Island with a less touristy approach and enjoy the extra great views not available to the majority of tourists visiting Capri.
Bring along your camera for some spectacular pictures and some water to stay hydrated. Please also insure that you wear comfortable clothing and shoes.
It is also recommended to wear sunglasses and some sunscreen.
Departure and arrival times will change depending on ferry schedules to and from the port you are travelling from.